It's good to be in Portland. The weather report for Ann Arbor, Michigan, my fabled hometown, calls for a low of 25 degrees and all kinds of schloppy icy precipitation. Just two days ago I was gently bitching to Ascott about the "minging rain" (did I use that correctly?) in the Forest, when I really should have been complaining about the fact that I was 100% for sure ruining my hip on that very run. Rest assured, I'll be healthy in another day or two. Looking outside my bedroom window right now makes me awkwardly laugh to myself, probably scaring people outside on the sidewalk as they walk past my basement window. That window provides me an excellent view of the side of a small bush, the sky, and a few pieces of boards that keep dirt from obstructing said view. It also serves as a target for the contracted mowers and leaf blowers to see how much debris they can spray directly toward me while I type this.
According to the always reliable status of J Bass's facebook, it's another beautiful fall day in Portland. I think I finally understand some marketing aspect of Halloween that included all the fall colors like orange, yellow, and red. Back in Michigan the trees started broing out and getting nudey mid-late September and all the recycled Halloween color schemes never made any sense. Remember all those school calendars when you were in elementary school? Brits, disregard these statements, I'm sure you weren't allowed to see obstructive pictures that took away from the facts (i.e. what day was when). September was always the shitty back-to-school drawing, October the autumn colors and maybe some pumpkins and a witch. November was always Thanksgiving with some cartoon Pilgrims comically faking friendships with Native Americans before indefinitely stealing their land and useful farming techniques. Well, finally, the calendar fits. October in Michigan has always been desolate, freezing, and of late, deceiving because that's when our football team decides to ruin a perfect 5-0 start two years in a row. Dammit!

October in michigan is the best, bite your fucking tongue
ReplyDelete