I'm not talking about myself. I'm "old" but definitely not spry. Did you see me trying to get up that first hill today? Jesus christ, I felt like I needed surgery and a nap. What I'm talking about right now are old dudes like Tony Bennett, who actually just hit the high note at the end of "God Bless America" in the 7th inning stretch of the World Series. What a guy. Totally had me leaning forward maybe an inch in disbelief as I felt the build-up to that note. If my running talent ages similarly to that guy's singing talent (dude's 84 years old...), I'd be looking at a sub-14 5k at his age. Yes, I would actually improve.
T Benny isn't the only one. Perhaps you've noticed the badass World War II veteran hanging out with us these past few days. Either that or you're completely insensitive to one of the greatest mustaches I've ever seen. Ole Al, 88 years old, started his walk today on Leif undoubtedly way faster than I started my gimp up Cannon. He then told us stories on the ride home about how he got to work for the San Francisco Giants, a good, typical old-fashioned dream he once had that came true like all childhood dreams that old people have. Unlike any of our dreams. Which makes me think... I bet his dream was actually to work for the 49ers, but he adjusted his "dream" to make a better story. As an elderly person, he certainly feels pressure to provide us young chaps with mildly entertaining and optimistic tales of how everything will work out.
... Anyway. Al's great. I'm pretty sure he told us today that Barry Bonds's dad was the biggest asshole he ever met, and that Barry was a huge brat. Probably with small testicles and lots of acne. I wonder how that worked out for him.

No comments:
Post a Comment